I don’t know about you, but I hate having to unbuckle and unbutton my trench coat whenever I take it off. It takes forever! Plus, the long belt is always a pain. That’s why I usually wrap and tie the coat. It’s so much easier to put on and take off (which especially helpful when you’re traveling!). Here’s how to tie a trench coat belt in front like I do:
- Don’t button up your coat. Simply wrap it around your body, with the buttons side in front.
- Make the side of the belt without the buckle much longer than the side with the buckle.
- Bring the long side of the belt over and under the shorter side and tie in a simple knot.
- Loop the longer side of the belt under the shorter side and fold into a loop away from your body.
- Pull the loop through the small hole above the buckle.
- Tighten by pulling the loop and the side of the belt with the buckle.
I know. It can be confusing at first. But I promise once you do it a few time, it feels like second nature. If you prefer to see how it’s done via video you can watch my Instagram Reel on how to tie a trench coat belt in front.
Here I’m wearing my maxi trench coat. I bought it for springtime in Paris years ago and I’m so happy with the purchase. It’s water resistant with a detachable hood. Plus, it’s machine washable, which is nice. I couldn’t find my color available online but it’s on sale in black and khaki and also on sale in navy and black.
I’m 5’3 so I ordered a petite since it’s such a long length. Unfortunately I couldn’t find petites in this style anymore. But they do have a slightly shorter version, which would be a great length for us shorties. And here are a bunch more trench coat options from the same brand… all on sale!
Shop more water resistant trench coats